Photos of Link visit - November 2018
The link between Glan Clwyd hospital and Hossana was set up in 2006 as part of an NHS-wide initiative encouraging links between health institutions in the UK and hospitals in developing countries. The link received support from the Tropical Health Education Trust at the outset, and is grateful for financial backing from Wales for Africa (now through Hub Cymru Africa) and the BMA Humanitarian Fund.
In 2007, the link extended from Hossana hospital to incorporate a link between the Stanley eye unit in Abergele hospital in North Wales and its counterparts in Yirga Alem hospital and Hawassa hospital.
In 2014, work began on establishing a primary care link between GP surgeries in North Denbighshire and Health centres in the Hossana region
Aims of the Link
The aims of the link are
- to form a long term and productive relationship between our two hospitals,
- to foster friendship and mutual understanding,
- to share education and
- to help build health care capacity in Hossana hospital and local area
We are very grateful to all who have supported the Link's activities since 2006:
- Staff at Glan Clwyd hospital and the Central area of BCUHB
- Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB)
- The Tropical Health and Education Trust
- Wales for Africa Health Links and Hub Cymru Africa
- BMA humanitarian fund
- St Asaph, Denbigh and Ruthin Rotary, and local Inner Wheel groups
- Local churches, chapels and philanthropic groups
- The outreach group at Ogmore in South Wales
- Denbigh and Ruthin Soroptimist group
- All those companies that have donated or provided equipment at low price
- All other wellwishers and supporters, of whom there are very many
- The ladies of St Asaph, Deeside and Ruthin for knitting all those wonderful hats!
Your interest, involvement, support, fundraising and generous donations have made all of this possible.
Ethiopia Link Report
We Need You!
Become a Volunteer
Pennies from Heaven: click here for info and to sign up (BCUHB employees)
Follow us: @Ethiopia_L1nk